Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Meaning of Life: as Interpreted by an 18 Year-Old Boy

Life is Heaven. Now, I try not to be an arrogant person, so when I say I think I understand the meaning of life (by defining it as heaven), my life-long mission to leash my confidence seems all but doable. I'll do my best to tread lightly and not speak in absolutes as most people tend to do when these sorts of subjects are spoken about. There are roughly 200 gillion interpretations of the meaning of life, but, I will proceed to explain why I believe that it is possible for an 18 year old boy/man to understand the most complicated and unanswerable question known to humankind.
In order to have the same understanding of the spiritual universe as I, one must believe in some kind of spiritual universe. I think it was my mother who once told me this: "These things people believe in are called faiths for a reason. There's no proof for any side, and there never will be. So, there is always a shadow of a doubt, but that's healthy. You just have to have faith in whatever you believe in." The only point during this essay that I'll bash any group of people is now. People who claim to be 100% sure of anything on the grave subject of religion are ignorant. People who claim to be 100% sure there is no creator of our universe are equally ignorant, and more blind than their religious counterparts. (maybe even a little ungrateful) There is no concrete evidence that a god or gods exists some say. Now, almost 2% of humankind currently doesn't believe in a supreme being, a god, or a 'creator.' To this, I have no words to be said that haven't already been heard by those people. I just ask those of you to keep an open mind through this essay. The evidence as I see it is as follows. I was born into a world of literally infinite beauty-one I'll never be able to even partially understand.
Here, I will quickly digress into my reasoning for why the world is 'beautiful.' The world is 'beautiful' because each and every moment, looked at under the correct lens, has infinite beauty and wonder in every pixel. A pile of poop can be a hive of symbiotic life. A flake of dander can be a carefully grafted mosaic looked at up close. Things like snowflakes -the discharge of the sky- can ensnare onlookers for hours. Everything on this green/blue earth is beautiful to someone and can be to anyone. This world I was born into is beautiful. There is tragedy. There is travesty. And there is always death. But the life we each have is riddled with infinite possibilities for happiness and sadness.
At this point I'd like to quote the Television Show: Monk, from the character know as Randy Disher. "Happiness is a choice." Now, what could one possibly ask for more than the opportunity to be happy each and every moment of their (arguably) god-given lives? Yin and Yang, happiness and sadness, tragedies and miracles alike, Human life is beautiful if anything. There is no way my mind can fathom this world of infinite intricacies was spontaneous and meaningless.
Human life is heaven. Instead of looking ahead to this wonderful afterlife that 98% of humanity believes exist, it is my young mind that believes that what should be treasured is the present. If I'm lucky, after I die, I'll get another shot at making the world a better place as my goal is now. I'm pretty sure that's the meaning of life. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment